The nomination period opens on Monday, July 13, 2020 at 8 a.m.. and closes on Friday, August 7, 2020 at 5 p.m.. If an incumbent who is eligible to run does not file, the deadline will be extended to Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 5 P.M.
Individuals interested in running for City Council, City Clerk, or City Treasurer are encouraged to contact the Deputy City Clerk, Karen O’Leary for additional information at (714) 993-8244.
For your convenience and to assist us in complying with social distancing, we suggest you make an appointment by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at (714) 993-8231.
Eligibility to Run for Office
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age
- A resident and qualified voter of the respective district, at least 25 days immediately preceding the filing of nomination papers. Candidates must provide all of the following additional information to verify their 25 day residency requirement, and all information and requirements must be current and valid as of the date of submission through election and assuming office:
- Proof of Residency
- Proof of home ownership (e.g. a copy of a grant deed, a mortgage payment billing statement, other document verifying home ownership and residency); and evidence of a homeowner’s property tax exemption filed with the Orange County Assessor; or Rental or Lease agreement verifying residence at the specified address at least 25 days prior to filing nomination papers, or an affidavit signed by the landlord or property owner.
- Proof of motor vehicle registration showing candidate’s address is consistent with the addresses shown on the nomination papers.
- A Southern California Edison bill in the Candidate’s name showing that the service address is consistent with the address in the candidate’s nomination papers.
- An affidavit, in a form approved by the City Clerk and the City attorney under penalty of perjury verifying residency.
- Proof of Residency
- For more information view the Candidate Residency Requirements.
Term of Office
The City Council Members, City Clerk, and City Treasurer serve four-year terms. City Council Members are limited to three (3) consecutive terms.
Campaign Contribution Limit
Candidates or candidate controlled committees shall not accept any contributions which will cause the total amount received by such person to exceed the contribution limit. The City of Placentia has no local Campaign Contribution Limits. For more information visit http://www.fppc.ca.gov/learn/campaign-rules.html.