On October 19, 2021, Governor Newsom issued a proclamation declaring all counties in the state of California in a State of Emergency due to a statewide drought, Newsom calls for all Californians to voluntarily reduce their water consumption by 15%. In addition, the State prohibits practices that wastewater regardless of the drought situation.
The State indicated the following water uses be permanently restricted:
- Hosing off sidewalks, driveways, and other hardscapes;
- Washing automobiles with hoses not equipped with a shut-off nozzle;
- Using non-recirculated water in a fountain or other decorative water feature;
- Watering lawns in a manner that causes runoff, or within 48 hours after measurable precipitation; and
- Irrigating ornamental turf on public street medians
Residents can do their part to help save water by implementing these easy to follow, no-cost steps to achieving water savings: